NH3 (g) + HCl (g) → NH4Cl (s)
This is an acid-base reaction (neutralization): NH3 is a base, HCl is an acid.
- Names: Ammonia , Azane (only intended for use in naming derivatives of ammonia) , Hydrogen nitride
- Appearance: Colourless gas ; Colourless gas or compressed liquefied gas with pungent odour ; Colorless gas with a pungent, suffocating odor. [Note: Shipped as a liquefied compressed gas. Easily liquefied under pressure.]
- HCl – Chlorane , Hydrogen chloride
- Other names: Hydrochloric acid , M , Uriatic acid
- Appearance: Colorless, transparent liquid, fumes in air if concentrated ; Colorless gas ; Colourless compressed liquefied gas with pungent odour ; Colorless to slightly yellow gas with a pungent, irritating odor. [Note: Shipped as a liquefied compressed gas.]