4 KMnO4 (aq) + 7 CH2O (aq) → 7 H2O (l) + 5 CO2 (g) + 2 K2CO3 (aq) + 4 Mn (s)
This is an oxidation-reduction (redox) reaction:
4 MnVII + 28 e- → 4 Mn0 (reduction)
7 C0 - 28 e- → 7 CIV (oxidation)
KMnO4 is an oxidizing agent, CH2O is a reducing agent.
This is a precipitation reaction: Mn is the formed precipitate.
This is a gas evolution reaction, CO2 is the formed gas.
- KMnO4 – Potassium manganate(VII)
- CH2O – Formaldehyde , Methanal
- Other names: Methyl aldehyde , Methylene glycol , Methylene oxide
- Appearance: Colorless gas ; Colourless gas with pungent odour ; Colourless liquid with pungent odour ; Nearly colorless gas with a pungent, suffocating odor. [Note: Often used in an aqueous solution (see specific listing for Formalin).]
- H2O – Water, oxidane
- K2CO3 – Potassium carbonate