8 HCl (aq) + 2 KMnO4 (aq) → 4 H2O (l) + 3 Cl2 (g) + 2 KCl (aq) + 2 MnO2 (s)
This is an oxidation-reduction (redox) reaction:
2 MnVII + 6 e- → 2 MnIV (reduction)
6 Cl-I - 6 e- → 6 Cl0 (oxidation)
KMnO4 is an oxidizing agent, HCl is a reducing agent.
This is a precipitation reaction: MnO2 is the formed precipitate.
This is a gas evolution reaction, Cl2 is the formed gas.
- HCl – Chlorane , Hydrogen chloride
- Other names: Hydrochloric acid , Hydrochloric acid gas , HCl
- Appearance: Colorless, transparent liquid, fumes in air if concentrated ; Colorless gas ; Colourless compressed liquefied gas with pungent odour ; Colorless to slightly yellow gas with a pungent, irritating odor. [Note: Shipped as a liquefied compressed gas.]
- KMnO4 – Potassium manganate(VII)
- H2O – Water, oxidane
- MnO2 – Manganese oxide , Manganese(IV) oxide