16 HCl (aq) + 2 KMnO4 (aq) → 5 Cl2 (g) + 2 MnCl2 (aq) + 2 KCl (aq) + 8 H2O (l)
This is an oxidation-reduction (redox) reaction:
2 MnVII + 10 e- → 2 MnII (reduction)
10 Cl-I - 10 e- → 10 Cl0 (oxidation)
KMnO4 is an oxidizing agent, HCl is a reducing agent.
This is a gas evolution reaction, Cl2 is the formed gas.
- HCl – Chlorane , Hydrogen chloride
- Other names: Hydrochloric acid , Hydrochloric acid gas , HCl
- Appearance: Colorless, transparent liquid, fumes in air if concentrated ; Colorless gas ; Colourless compressed liquefied gas with pungent odour ; Colorless to slightly yellow gas with a pungent, irritating odor. [Note: Shipped as a liquefied compressed gas.]
- KMnO4 – Potassium manganate(VII)
- MnCl2 – Manganese(II) chloride , Manganese dichloride
- H2O – Water, oxidane