299 H2SO4 (aq) + 122 KMnO4 (aq) + 10 K4Fe(CN)6 (aq) → 188 H2O (l) + 60 HNO3 (aq) + 60 CO2 (g) + 122 MnSO4 (aq) + 5 Fe2(SO4)3 (s) + 162 KHSO4 (aq)
This is an oxidation-reduction (redox) reaction:
122 MnVII + 610 e- → 122 MnII (reduction)
60 CII - 120 e- → 60 CIV (oxidation)
60 N-III - 480 e- → 60 NV (oxidation)
10 FeII - 10 e- → 10 FeIII (oxidation)
KMnO4 is an oxidizing agent, K4Fe(CN)6 is a reducing agent, K4Fe(CN)6 is a reducing agent, K4Fe(CN)6 is a reducing agent.
This is a precipitation reaction: Fe2(SO4)3 is the formed precipitate.
This is a gas evolution reaction, CO2 is the formed gas.
- H2SO4 – Sulfuric acid
- KMnO4 – Potassium manganate(VII)
- H2O – Water, oxidane
- HNO3 – Nitric acid
- Other names: Aqua fortis , Spirit of niter , Eau forte
- Appearance: Colorless, yellow or red fuming liquid ; Colourless-to-yellow liquid with pungent odour ; Colorless, yellow, or red, fuming liquid with an acrid, suffocating odor. [Note: Often used in an aqueous solution. Fuming nitric acid is concentrated nitric acid that contains dissolved nitrogen dioxide.]
- MnSO4 – Manganese(II) sulfate
- Fe2(SO4)3 – Iron(III) sulfate
- KHSO4 – Potassium hydrogen sulfate