H2O + C2H5ONa → NaOH + C2H5OH
- H2O – Water, oxidane
- Other names: Water (H2O) , Hydrogen hydroxide (HH or HOH) , Hydrogen oxide
- Appearance: White crystalline solid, almost colorless liquid with a hint of blue, colorless gas
- C2H5ONa – Sodium ethoxide
- Other names: Sodium ethanolate , Sodium ethylate (obsolete) , Sodium ethylate
- Appearance: White or yellowish powder | hygroscopic ; White-to-yellow powder
- Names: Sodium hydroxide , Caustic soda , Lye
- Appearance: White, waxy, opaque crystals ; White hygroscopic solid in various forms ; Colorless to white, odorless solid (flakes, beads, granular form).
- C2H5OH – Ethanol
- Other names: Absolute alcohol , Alcohol , Cologne spirit
- Appearance: Colorless liquid ; Colourless liquid with characteristic odour ; Clear, colorless liquid with a weak, ethereal, vinous odor.