2 NH4Cl (aq) + K2Cr2O7 (aq) → N2 (g) + Cr2O3 (s) + 2 HCl (aq) + 2 KOH (aq) + 2 H2O (l)
This is an oxidation-reduction (redox) reaction:
2 N-III - 6 e- → 2 N0 (oxidation)
2 CrVI + 6 e- → 2 CrIII (reduction)
NH4Cl is a reducing agent, K2Cr2O7 is an oxidizing agent.
This is a precipitation reaction: Cr2O3 is the formed precipitate.
This is a gas evolution reaction, N2 is the formed gas.
- NH4Cl – Ammonium chloride
- K2Cr2O7 – Potassium dichromate(VI)
- HCl – Chlorane , Hydrogen chloride
- Other names: Hydrochloric acid , M , Uriatic acid
- Appearance: Colorless, transparent liquid, fumes in air if concentrated ; Colorless gas ; Colourless compressed liquefied gas with pungent odour ; Colorless to slightly yellow gas with a pungent, irritating odor. [Note: Shipped as a liquefied compressed gas.]
- KOH – Potassium hydroxide
- H2O – Water, oxidane